Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Thanksgiving= Food, Family, Fun, and traffic

You never think you'll see Christmas lights on the freeway, that is unless you live in DC. The highway blockage started on Tuesday afternoon, and our highway turned into a parking lot for 32 solid hours. Getting around town was not possible on Tuesday by any means. People were everywhere, for two days, trying to get out of the city. Airports were backed up, the Metro was packed like sardines, and the streets were, like I said, a parking lot. I guess not a lot of people spend Thanksgiving in DC. Matt and I headed out on Wednesday for Virginia Beach to spend the Day of Giving Thanks with my new family. Knowing the previous days situation, we waited until a little later to make our way into the swirling pool of tail lights. I meant to take a picture of the situation, to prove to you that I'm far from making this up. Traffic was backed up for days, so we pulled over for about 5 minutes to wait for the HOV lane to open up to all cars. With this idea, the greatest that Matt has ever thought of on his own, we made it to VA Beach without a hitch.
I won't bore you with turkey details, but we had a great time at the Hooker house. They welcomed me as if I had been a part of their family my whole life. I put up momma hooker's Christmas decorations as if it were my own home. We had such a fantastic visit. I can't wait to go back.
When we headed back to DC, knowing that the traffic would be worse, we took the scenic route back. It took a little longer, but we avoided soooo much traffic. The trees are changing beautifully in this part of the country, in case you were wondering. We knew we were getting closer to DC as traffic picked up, but we made it home in no time flat. Now, it's time to put up my own Christmas decorations!!!

1 comment:

Dara said...

I miss the Jayna holiday decorations.