Thursday, January 15, 2009

It only takes a smile...

...and the next thing you know I'm in the midst of a conversation with a complete stranger.
Okay here's what happened:
I was walking from my office to the Metro. I didn't go the way I normally go b/c it was FREEEZING and I just wanted to get home, so I took the first available crosswalk and went with it. Well, at the other side of the street, you have to look over your shoulder a little to see for on coming traffic, which is what I was doing at the time of the "smile".
I was standing in the street (of course), and this lady was standing on the curb as we were waiting for the light to change or a car not to come, which ever came first. I glanced over my shoulder for on coming cars and I caught the eye of a woman who smiled at me, so me not being rude, gave a nice smile back. Whatever. I kept walking, and this lady caught up to me.
She started chatting with me, so me being nice, answered her questions, like "So are do you work around here?" "Are you participating in any of the Inaugural events?" What do you do for a living?" and naturally I returned the questions back to her (thinking what a nice lady or awe, she needs a friend) We chat about our work blah blah, and by this time, we are on the platform waiting for the train (2 blocks later and 2 escalator rides later) and she was asking me if "journalism is my calling" and I thought to myself, "Oh, she is going to minister to me. That's nice." I don't know why I thought this, but I did. We got to talking about our "calling" when I pushed my glasses up on my face with my left had (my wedding ring hand), as the train was arriving. "We are all looking for our calling, well it was nice to meet you" and she immediately cut off of the conversation and RAN onto the train! I mean, didn't even finish the conversation. Most keep talking as you walk onto the train, chat until it's your stop. NOT HER! She just ended it. The whole situation had me puzzled and a little weirded out. I was just trying to be nice, and I'm trying not to thing that she was trying to be "nicer", if you will. Now, I'm not making fun of her, it's more my cluelessness to the conversation and the whole situation that I went home, told Matt about, and he proceeded to laugh at me for not realizing what was going on. He and I both agreed she was just trying to be nice. Right?
I'm a lightening rod for the odd...I swear! No more making eye contact with anyone...EVER! ps. this happened the DAY AFTER the petting situation.

1 comment:

Kira said...

People are so odd.