Monday, January 12, 2009

If I wanted to go to Inauguration...

I would have to put on my walking shoes, my friend.

As you may or may not know we will have a new president next week. I think the only way you WOULDN'T know this is if you live under a rock. In light of this overwhelmingly historical event, as our first "african-american" president is inaugurated into office, many have chosen to be apart of this whole situation. When I say many, there is suspect of 4ish million people expected to arrive here over the course of this next weekend.

People are renting their homes for THOUSANDS of dollars a night. Hotels have been booked since November 5 and DC has been building stands and stages since late October.

As for transportation in shuttling these "4M" people around... MARC train (Maryland Commuter train between DC and Baltimore) riders will not be allowed to use their passes on the day of Inauguration, but will have to pay for your seat. The Metro will be charging the "peak hour" rates that day, you will have to pay to park at the Metro's "park and ride" stations, and last but certainly not least, they are SHUTTING DOWN the bridges from Virginia to DC. All who can't get on the Metro in VA are going to have to WALK to the Capitol. Granted, I have done this before, but it wasn't January and it wasn't b/c I had to do it. They have shut down the streets around the Capitol.

Fortunately for me, Inauguration Day is a Federal Holiday here in DC. Matt and I thought about leaving, renting out our home, but decided we had better not, seeing that all who came must leave. There is no way we would get back!
So, if you need me on Inauguration Day, I will be holed up in my house with my husband, my remote and maybe a puzzle.

1 comment:

Dara said...

I'm sure I would be annoyed if I lived there but I think it would be so much fun to go. I love historical stuff like that. You'll probably get a much better view on your TV though.