Sunday, May 31, 2009

A lady, my belly and her grocery list...

I keep forgetting to blog this, but it is so blog worthy, even after a week has passed I'm still going to blog this for you.

I was on my way home from work last Thursday. I switched to my orange line to head home. I actually got a seat without someone offering me their's. I was sitting in a seat that was facing across from this woman. You could tell that she was mentally challenged, but didn't think too much about it. I watched her dig in her bag, get out a little pad of paper and scribble something. She was in quite disarray. Well, our train broke down one stop into our trek and we had to off load. I get off and stand patiently for the next train with everyone else, and I lose track of my friend sitting across from me.

I get back on the metro and everyone crowds on in frustration. Well, this time I wasn't planning on sitting as most of the seats were being taken...but one. The seat next to my friend across the isle. A lady got on behind me and was planning on sitting there. I told her to go a head and have a seat. She looked frustrated to even ask me, but whatever. She went to sit down and my friend goes (in a loud voice) "NO! This seat is for her!" and pointed at me! "She's pregnant! She has to sit here!" I was mortified!!! The lady in more frustration goes, "she's not going to let me sit there." Sorry sister.

So, I sat down, but not after being jolted forward slamming my foot into some poor guys foot, after which I just kept apologizing. When I was seated and situated, the lady started patting my stomach and rubbing it and said, "You're pregnant. You've gotta take care of this baby." Everyone on the train was watching me and the whole situation. She wasn't speaking with her inside voice. So, of course I go, "yeah, I do. It'll be here before we know it." She said, "yeah, you've gotta take care of it." (patting my stomach of course)

She proceeds to again, rumadge through her bag to get her little notebook pad out and scribble some more then just couldn't get situated. I asked her if she was okay, and she said, "Yeah, I forgot something on my grocery list. I forgot ranch dressing." I said, "Oh! Well, you don't want to forget that." She goes, "I have 8 things on my list, wanna see?" I couldn't make out her list, but as long as she knew what they were, I guess that is all that matters, right?

As we were pulling away from the stop before mine, she leaned over me to see where we were, so I told her. She told me she had to go to Vienna, which is the end of the line, so poor girl had a ways to go. Then she asked patting my stomach again, "do you have a name? Are you the next stop?" I told her yes I was the next stop, but no we don't have a name yet. And she goes "WHAT!?!! You need to name it!" I of course know this, but as I was getting up she goes, "Don't forget to take care of that baby!" I replied, "Take care, and good luck at the grocery store."

It was one of the most random experiences on the metro so far. It was funny, bless her heart!

4 comments:

Melinda said...

I loved this story! I think it goes to show that God gives every woman, no matter how challenged, that special maternal instinct. What a wonderful story...I'm so glad you shared it.

Tamra said...

You are such a lightning rod, Spee. Seriously. I love it! :)

Kira said...

Wow, well at least you got a seat & made a new bff.

Newberry said...

That is so sweet and so hilarious! I hope you didn't mind having your belly rubbed :)