Thursday, March 06, 2008

I just can't help myself sometimes!!

So, as I was walking down stairs, mid afternoon to get coffee with some girl friends here at work, we walked passed someone that looked unbelievably familiar! One girl said to us, that was Al Franken! Naturally I rubber neck as I am walking passed, and sure 'nough, he's coming into our building. Knowing he is running for a Senate seat in Minn., I automatically assumed he was heading to our floor. I, by this time, was too starstruck to even want coffee any more. The sooner I could get back up to the 7th floor of the North Capitol building the sooner I could introduce myself to someone I have been quoting for years!!! He was ALWAYS one of my faves from SNL! He coined some great quotes over the years, and one particularly close to my heart and I'm sure yours as well is "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog gone it...people like me!" GENIUS!!!
So, I quickly come back to the office, to be greeted by our receptionist who excitedly told me "Al, is in the bathroom!" Naturally I have to hang around to catch a glimpse of my SNL hero (I know I should raise my standards a bit, but throw me a bone).
So, I make casual conversation until....there he is. He walks through our double glass doors with a smile on his face and yet seems a little confused as to where to go. I naturally offer up my help to point him in the right direction, looking calm of course. I introduce myself and let him know that it is an honor meeting him. He was sooo nice and compared to me, unbelievably short! Well, I made my way back to my desk completely star struck and could barely finish my work for the day. OH THE DAY I had!!!


This is an official Roll Call picture. Photo by Douglas Graham/Roll Call

3 comments:

Michelle said...

That guy did have a good quote, I don't watch SNL much but I've heard what he said. I hope you're doing well and also I hope you've checked out the most handsome boy ever on our blog. He's so little, but so sweet! Have a good day!

Kira said...

I'm glad you included a picture because I had no idea who you were talking about, I'm ashamed to say. I too had heard that quote, but I don't usually watch SNL - 50%of the time, I'm asleep by then. But very cool!

Dara said...

And like me he agrees that Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot:)