Wednesday, February 08, 2006

And then there was the protest

So, my weekend was what I like to call... "Educational". It was full of museums, rain, a protest, and a partridge in a pear tree. Saturday was the big day. I got up and headed out to Starbucks for a good mocha and muffin. Since Starbucks was full to the max I went home to enjoy my muffin, plus it was pouring down rain, as it did ALL DAY LONG! Did I mention it was cold outside too? Just checking. I decided that I can't just stay in and let it rain on my parade, I had a protest to survey. I went to the American History Museum to finish up what I didn't see with my mom. I was reminded of things of the past; sesame Street, music history, Thomas Edison, America transportation revolution, the list goes on and on. The one thing that I thought was interesting was Julia Child's kitchen. They put a whole kitchen in there. I took a picture for proof. I know the invention of electricity has been a huge part of our lives over the years, but let's take a moment to recognize the revelation of what the renowned Julia brought to our lives...The Naked Chef, Martha! Our world is a tastier place thanks to this woman. Then there was the protest. It was the event I had been waiting for all day. I had heard about it on the news and felt as though I wanted to see all of the action, whether I believe in their cause or not it was still a sight to see. These true believers started their march at the Washington monument (the tall, skinny thing) and ended at the White House, where they proceeded to chant and soak themselves in the rain that had turned into a down pour. They were screaming "BUSH STEP DOWN!" over and over again. I wondered if anyone ever clued them in to the idea that I doubt he caves to their call. He was in Texas speaking, so naturally people gathered here in DC to remind him that in their eyes he needs to take a seat. I doubt he thought after hearing their cry, " You know, they're right. I think I'm done here. I need to catch up on my American Idol. Here, you do it. I'm going back to Texas." Although I agree with our 1st amendment I just thought it was interesting they were just yelling, knowing he wasn't even in town to hear their plea. Needless to say, it was quite the culture that most would be shocked by, but I found it fascinating. I took pictures as though I was a sports spectator. After wrapping up my jaw dropping afternoon I headed home, only to get lost along the way. I found my bearings and headed for the hills, safe, sound, and wet.

3 comments:

Dara said...

Why do I have a feeling that we're going to see you on the news?

Anonymous said...

dara has a point...

Anonymous said...

It has been a whole month since you have written anything so just SHUT UP and write.